I am Maria Parker, a fully Accredited Psychotherapist with the Irish Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MIACP) and I graduated from the Tivoli Institute in Dun Laoghaire. My approach is Humanistic and Integrative with a strong foundation in Psychodynamic theory and the belief that our feelings and behaviours are deeply affected by unconscious motives.
As a Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapist I fundamentally believe that the client is the expert on their life. "Humanistic integrative psychotherapy relies upon the importance of the relationship between the therapist and client to enable mind, body, feeling, soul and spirit to come together as a whole" UKCP 2022
The relationship between client and therapist is profoundly important and it is from this foundation great change occurs.
I am also a registered Clinical Nurse Specialist (RPN) with 20 years of experience supporting young people and their families (CAMHS) during mental health crisis and recovery. I have worked in Emergency Departments, Acute Inpatient and Community settings as a Mental Health Professional.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (Registered Mental Health Nurse) – Dublin City University
- Diploma in Child Psychology – Dublin Business School
- Higher Diploma in Psychotherapy Studies – University College Dublin
- Professional Diploma (Clinical) Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy – Tivoli Institute
- HSE Clinical Supervision Training
Professional Development Courses:
- CBT for Depression
- CBT for Anxiety
- Schema Therapy
- Increasing Awareness of Suicide and Self Harm among Emergency Health Care Staff
- Bereavement Workshop – Support for Families
- Working with Attachment Disorder APT Training
- ASSIST Suicide Prevention
- Crisis Prevention Intervention
- Child Protection Awareness and Children’s First Training
- Eating Disorders Intensive Practitioner Training Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Incredible Years Training Programme
What I do Here
It is always my deepest privilege to be given the chance to support and guide clients during what may be a very difficult time in their lives. I have worked with all age groups but have a passion for working with young adults.
As a person, I am fun, energetic, caring and engaging. I treat every client as an individual, respecting their personal histories and where they have come from. As a therapist I pride myself on building compassionate therapeutic relationships using a non judgemental approach. I believe that the greatest gift we can give ourselves is the chance to reach our true potential. I will support you to deepen your understanding of yourself and develop your authenticity. Growing up we encounter traumatic experiences that can deeply impact who we are, therapy gives you the chance to understand how they shaped you as an individual. The therapeutic relationship has the ability to transform and heal giving you the opportunity to achieve all you hoped for in your life.
If you want to have a deeper understanding of yourself, learn new coping skills or want to improve your self esteem and confidence then please get in touch. I will ensure that you get a warm and inviting welcome. I understand that taking the first step to make contact can be anxiety provoking. Let’s start with hello and welcome!